Florida Player Wins $15 Million Scratch-Off Prize
A North Florida man has claimed the first $15 million top prize from the FL Lottery's new scratch-off game, Billion Dollar Gold Rush Supreme. It's the highest scratch-off payout available in the state, and there are three more of the impressive jackpots still out there to be won.
57-year-old Homosassa resident Richard Morgan left his claim documents in the Lottery's secure drop box at the Gainesville District Office and opted to receive his prize as a single lump-sum payout of $13,200,000.00.
Morgan purchased his lucky ticket at Jiffy, 6241 West Cardinal Street in Homosassa. The retailer will also benefit from selling the winning ticket thanks to a $30,000 bonus commission from the Lottery.
The Billion Dollar Gold Rush Supreme scratch-off game debuted in February 2021 and offers four $15 million grand prizes - three of which remain unclaimed - and 24 second prizes of $1 million.
Tickets cost $30 and the game has favorable 1 in 2.59 overall odds of winning a prize. The chances of winning the top prize are approximately 1 in 11.6 million.
Scratch-off games make up about three-quarters of all Florida Lottery ticket sales; players raised over $1 billion for local schools in fiscal year 2019-20 via the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund (EETF).
Gold Rush Supreme Bonus Play Promotion
The Florida Lottery is currently offering second chance draws for non-winning scratch-off tickets for the Gold Rush Supreme and Billion Dollar Gold Rush Supreme games. There are seven remaining draws - the next chance to win is April 7, 2021; entries close April 5 and winners will be announced on April 12. Draws will be held regularly until January 5, 2022.
Players have a shot at taking home these great prizes in each draw:
- First prize: A jackpot that starts at $10,000 and grows until the draw
- Five second prizes of $5,000 each
- 15 third prizes of $1,000 each
- 20 fourth prizes of $500 each
The winners of the first bonus draw were announced on March 1. New Smyrna Beach resident James Turner was the lucky winner of the $823,217.94 jackpot, which started at $10,000 and increased throughout the entry period.
More Recent Florida Winners
There's a whole lot of winning going on in the Sunshine State! Here's a roundup of some of the latest prizes to be paid out to Floridians:
- March 24: Ryan Howes, 32, of Saint Cloud, and Rubi Ortiz Rodriguez, 36, of Bonita Springs, won $1 million apiece on the $5 Gold Rush Supreme scratch-off
- March 23: Charles Dodson, 65, of Cape Coral claimed a $1 million prize on the $5,000,000 Gold Rush Classic scratch-off
- March 19: Windell Nelson, 31, of Tampa, and Darko Saratlic, 36, of Jacksonville, claimed $1 million each from the X The Cash scratch-off
- March 12: Lance Rigby, 52, of Miramar, claimed the $1.15 million jackpot from the February 23 Jackpot Triple Play draw
How to Claim Prizes
Winners of FL Lottery prizes under $600 may cash their tickets at authorized retailers. Players who have won $600 or above currently have three options to claim: Make an appointment to claim in person at Florida Lottery Headquarters or your nearest district office; use the secure drop box at your local district office to leave your claim documents; or mail your claim to Lottery Headquarters or a district office.
Published: Friday, March 26, 2021
Updated: Friday, March 26, 2021